Sunday, March 21, 2010

Zombies in the Reading Room? No Problem.

Rex Libris, The Kickass Librarianrex_return

by James Turner

I was doing my readers’ advisory assignment, looking for graphic novels for a friend when I found a graphic novel about Rex Libris, “The world’s favorite ass-kicking, sesquipedalian Librarian.” The first issue is called, I, Librarian and begins with a samurai demon attempting to check out a book without a library card. He’s trying to check out, “Evil Made Easy”. When the samurai gets peeved because Rex won’t let him leave with the book, a battle ensues. The demon offers to spare Rex’s life if he assembles a library so that he can rule the cosmos. Rex replies, “Knowledge is not to be monopolized by tin-topped demons. It must be available for all people!” That’s all I could read on Amazon’s preview but it was most enjoyable. The beginning was especially funny, “Here you will find…the tumultuous tales of the public library system and its unending battle against the forces of evil. This struggle is not just confined to our terrestrial sphere but extends out into the farthest reaches of the cosmos…and beyond!” I also checked out the website for Rex Libris. Click here to go there yourself. It’s very funny. I love that the stereotype of an old-maid type librarian with a bun and glasses is actually a disguise for “femme fatale librarian agents who employ a variety of methods, from lethal martial arts to feminine wiles, to protect knowledge, retrieve books, and add to the library collection.” The website is also a lot of fun. In the Library History tab you can find a map of libraries that have cats. I had no idea that the Beech Grove Public Library was at one time home to two cats named Tigger and Pooh! So if you are bored or just wish to explore something entertaining I recommend checking these out.

1 comment:

  1. My vet is in Beech Grove - Rocky and I will check out the kit kats the next time we go to the vets.

    At one ALA conference, I was Baker of Baker and Taylor. I wore the costume - it was horrify - I felt claustrophobic and the librarians thought I was a real cat. But, hey, I'd do just about anything for 75 bucks an hour.

    ReplyDelete