Saturday, March 6, 2010

Eat, Pray,Love

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman’s Search for Everything Across Italy, India, and IndonesiaEat, Pray...

by Elizabeth Gilbert                                       

Penguin Books, 2006

ISBN: 978-0-14-3038412 (pbk.)

 

Elizabeth Gilbert is recovering from a messy divorce when she begins a spiritual journey to rediscover herself. This discovery takes place when Elizabeth lands a book deal that sends her around the world. Her journey begins in Italy where she learns to speak Italian, eat delicious food, and luxuriate in the Italian culture. In India she learns about discipline and spiritual strength, and in Bali she finally discovers not just the love of a man but also love for herself.

This story will be well liked by those that really want to escape to a world where the stresses of real life dissolve into an easeful journey as Gilbert learns some life lessons. Gilbert’s voice is a mixture of a quirky, modern, business woman and a yoga loving spiritualist making some parts of the story reflective and others witty and entertaining.

While parts of this book were enjoyable, for instance Gilbert quoting Lilly Tomlin for insight, there were things that kept me from fully enjoying it. Firstly, I’d love to say that Gilbert’s story is a harrowing one and that she overcame great obstacles and ended up better in the end. It’s just that I don’t really know that. Gilbert begins the story by explaining to the readers the darkness and depression she felt after her divorce with her husband, but she avoids discussing with readers the messy bits. As Gilbert herself explains, “The chronicle of our marriage’s failure will remain untold here.” What this leaves readers with is a blah story. Yes, I said blah. I have no doubt that the real story is exciting and full of conflict and passion but the story that Gilbert tells in this book seems watered down.

Although this book wasn’t for me, I do understand that sometimes people just want to hear a happy story. This book accomplishes that and more. There are beautiful and relaxing destinations, spiritual insights, and even some funny moments. If you are interested in a real life feel good story pick this one up. If you are cynical I recommend you avoid it.

1 comment:

  1. While I share with my wonderful students, that I just got a divorce and that I've been glum about it - I have not and will not share the messiest of bits about it with any of you. I don't really like sharing them with myself. Divorce is tough. I know it's so common but it sure doesn't make it any easier. Kind of like death, common but always hard to take.

    I loved this book to bits. But I read it at a time in my life when I knew divorce was looming large for me.

    My favorite of her many insights were thus - there are two fundamental questions for all of humanity 1)How much do you love me? and 2) Who's in charge?

    ReplyDelete