Sunday, April 18, 2010

Shyness

image In class the other day some students were talking about a  possible connection between shyness and bad customer service. As a shy person I felt as if I had to stick up for my kind. I’m sure that there are some shy people that are terrible at customer service but most that I know are actually quite personable on the job.  This is probably because, as I have been told continuously throughout my customer service career and even more this semester in class, the job isn’t about me.  It’s about the customer.  My real personality doesn’t matter. What matters is how easily I adapt myself to suit them.  Inside I may be nervous as all heck but outside I am smiling and trying to make sure that they are served with patience and politeness.  Sure, at first it was tough to force confidence but after a while I became a pro. 

Customer service may actually be the perfect job for shy people. We can be expert at detecting the moods of others and have wonderful listening skills.  I find for myself, that my self-consciousness keeps me constantly trying to do a better job and when I make a mistake I will rarely make it twice because I hate embarrassment.     

In the end, there is no excuse for bad customer service.  Someone either cares about what they do, or they don’t and when they don’t care it shows.  Shy people can care immensely or not at all, just like everyone else.  But if it’s any consolation, at least shy people may be a little more self-conscious about it.             

5 comments:

  1. Dagny, I have to agree with you on this. I truly don't believe the level of customer service is due to shyness or outgoing-ness, but whether the provider likes to help people and can tell what help may be needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a shy person myself, I completely agree with everything you stated. With practice, experience, and the courage and willingness to push ourselves beyond our comfort zones when the need arises, we can be just as adept at satisfying customers or patrons (if not more so because we are so open to listening). When I worked as a waitress, I found that some customers appreciated my effective yet unobtrusive manner. Great points!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great point, Dagny. We confident types tend to be ... less skilled at listening. That is not a fact for all confident people, but I think it's a fair claim for a lot of us. I know I have to work really hard to care about what people are saying most of the time ... just kidding.

    ... maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dagny (and all other shy folks),

    I hope I didn't offend you when I made the comment that introverted or shy people might be less willing to step up to the customer-service plate. That was not my intention. It was just an observation that some of my coworkers who were shy were less willing to initiate contact with customers.

    If I did offend you or hurt your feelings, I'm really sorry.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. No worries, Jackie. I understand where that might come from. I wasn't offended but I just wanted to offer a different perspective on the issue. No apologies necessary.

    ReplyDelete